Monday, March 30, 2009

Tea Time

This week I'm focusing on one of my favorite things to do; take tea! I'll feature a couple of places that I love to take tea or want to take tea and some of my favorite brews and recipes.

Today I'm talking about my absolute favorite place to take tea, The Drake Hotel in Chicago. When I turned 16, my mom and I spent an extended weekend in Chicago and as part of my birthday trip, we took tea at The Drake. The Drake is in the heart of downtown Chicago and boasts gorgeous furnishings and is the hotel of choice for the British Royal family when they are in Chicago.


Tea is served in The Palm Court and the centerpiece is the limestone fountain with a 275 year old urn in its center. There is always a live harpist and tea service usually lasts about an hour to an hour and a half and is served daily from 1:00 to 5:00 p.m. One thing that has stuck out in my mind from our trip was the elegance and the wonderful scones with fresh Devon cream and lemon curd!



If you are ever in Chicago, this is the place to have tea!

1 comment:

  1. I agree, Leslie! I,too, loved it when we went to the Drake! I always wanted to stay there as well. Maybe, in my next life. :o) And, by the way, it was your sixteenth birthday. (A mother never forgets these things.) Try Twinings Prince of Wales! A really hardy cup of black tea. Hope we can go for tea at The Canterbury in May, when we go to Indy for the wedding! :OD

    ReplyDelete